Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Art of the Brick Exhibition

If you haven't already know how much of a LEGO fan I am, well now you know - I collect LEGO and I can't miss any LEGO exhibition of sorts; Even if it meant lining up for an hour plus to get in, just like Brickvention 2011. :p So when I heard about the Art of the Brick Exhibition at Federation Square, I just couldn't miss it and so did my fellow LEGO fan friends Khim and Ellen.

The artist is called Nathan Sawaya. And he builds incredible large-scale LEGO sculptures, which have broken gallery records around the world. We went for the Sat 11 June, 1.30pm session. And here are some of my favourite picks from the exhibition.

Entrance with large LEGO bricks
His version of Victoria Market
Life-size T-Rex, well not exactly
Some Greek Building - forgot its name
4 colourful different skulls
The blue swimmer (life size)
Favourite: tearing your chest
Mosaic of Flinders St. Station
There weren't as many displays as compared to Brickvention. But then again, its different because you had so many exhibitors at Brickvention while here the only builder was Nathan himself. There were videos showing how he built a scpture from scratch with tubs of LEGO bricks. Plus this was more of like an Art Exhibition rather than a convention which was what Brickvention really was.

Tubbs seemed to enjoy himself more and wasn't as disappointed as I was with the exhibition. Maybe he's into the less is more concept and original creativity as well. Because lots of the exhibits at Brickvention were just normal LEGO sets that people build from instructions whereas Nathan came up with all these creations himself. But there was so much more to see at Brickvention; 4 hours there compared to the 1 hour here.

But I guess it was all in the name of Art of in my case: LEGO. ;) And so if you're interested, you can view the  full album on facebook from the link below:
The Art of the Brick: Nathan Sawaya's LEGO Exhibition.

0 comments: